One of our team has recently tried this dish at Propeller and can verify its deliciousness. After such rave reviews we think it’s definitely worth a try at home. Thanks so much to Propeller for sharing the recipe.
(We think we’ve noticed a typo. Can you pick it?)
Ingredients (makes 20)
1 kg chicken mince
200 g cracked wheat / bulgur wheat
1/2 cup of water
2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
good pinch of salt
340g chicken mince
1 finely diced onion
zest of one lemon
80 g chopped pistachios
125 g diced dates
pinch of sumac
chilli flakes to taste
salt and pepper
- Add water to cracked wheat / bulgur wheat and let stand until softened (about 20 minutes).
- Add spices, chopped onion, wheat and salt to chicken mince and mix until combined.
- Sauté onions in a pan.
- Add chicken mince.
- Once cooked, add lemon zest, chopped pistachios, diced dates, sumac, chilli flakes, salt, pepper and mix until combined.
Making the kibbeh
- Take about 50 g of outer layer mixture and flatten it out in the palm of your hand.
- Then take a good heaped teaspoon of stuffing mixture and place it in the centre of the flattened outer layer mixture.
- Fold the outer layer mixture around the stuffing mixture (making sure the outer layer completely encases the stuffing).
- Shape into a ball.
- Repeat until all of the mixtures are used.
- These can be cooked two ways; deep fried until golden brown or bake in an oven at 180c for 10–15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with tahini yoghurt, quick pickled cucumbers and radishes or plain yoghurt, tomato, cucumber and parsley.
Last but not least, serve it up with a nice bottle of Rosé (from one of Freo’s bottle shops of course) to go with it and just before you tuck in take an insta and share it with us #Fremantlestory.
Subscribe to our enewsletter to keep up with the latest blog posts, competitions, what’s on and what’s new in Freo.