Soaking up some sunshine or getting in an early morning swim before the heat of the day may not be top of the list of things to do this weekend but there’s still plenty of cool stuff to tick off in Freo. Here's our top ten (cause we all love a good list):
1. Start the day off with a good hearty breaky: Breaks in High Street does a full cooked breakfast that will keep you going for the whole day or if you’re looking for a slower start Port City Roasters all day breakfast is hard to beat.
2. How long is it since you’ve had a wander round Fremantle Markets? Stalls change regularly so it’s worth a look to see what’s new. Listen for out the buskers, you might just spot the next big thing banging out a tune on the free piano. Pick up your veg for the week and grab a bite to eat in The Yard (What the Bao does the best Duck Bao!).
3. How about 90 minutes indoor adventure that tests your detective skills? Escape Hunt Perth (above the Pickled Fairy and Other Myths) offers three mysteries to solve; murder in the tavern, poisoning in the café or escape from the prison!
4. The great hall at Little Creatures is awesome but we like heading up stairs and settling into a booth with a bowl of hand cut frittes and a pint of pale ale-the view over the harbour is stunning.
5. There’s something mesmerising about finding a spot out of the rain in Freo and watching the weather move in from the ocean. You couldn’t get any closer to it at Bib & Tucker, Bathers Beach House or Coast Port Beach. And generations of families have picked up fish ‘n’ chips at Fishing Boat Harbour. Sitting in the car out on the south mole makes you feel like you’re right in the thick of it and the view back to the city is gorgeous.
6. The Indian Ocean was the world’s first highway and has been the centre of world economy for millennia, but how well do we know it? Travellers and Traders of the Indian Ocean World, is the current exhibition at the Western Australian Maritime Museum (the building itself is perched on the edge of the ocean) takes you on a journey across the Indian Ocean through ancient objects and stories about traders, explorers and the many different peoples who inhabit its shores. Entry fees apply.
7. Stop for a coffee or better yet the Azteca hot chocolate (the one with a hint of chilli) from Chocolateria San Churro in Market Street Piazza will warm you from the inside. With a serve of piping hot churros it'll keep you going for the rest of the afternoon.
8. The latest Insider Art Series at Fremantle Prison showcases works of Western Australian prisoners from across the state. Held in the old ‘Print Shop’ at Fremantle Prison the works are diverse in style, with a strong representation of Aboriginal painting and art objects. Free entry.
9. Honestly you could spend the whole day at Fremantle Arts Centre wandering the galleries (the current exhibition, SPAN is on until 26 March), browse locally designed and made work at FOUND or simply enjoy the space with coffee and cake in the café room overlooking the inner courtyard.
10. Afternoon or evening, Freo’s small bar scene offers up some cosy options on a wet blustery day for a quiet drink with friends. Sink back into one of the huge armchairs at new bar Miss Chat’s (cnr High and Pakenham Street) or maybe a game of scrabble at Mrs Brown Bar in North Fremantle.
While we're about it - have we told you about the Umbrella Walking Tour?
Subscribe to our enewsletter to keep up with the latest blog posts, competitions, what’s on and what’s new in Freo.