Boundary Road Mosman Park
Buckland Hill, named by Captain Stirling after James Buckland, FRS, a reader in Geology at Oxford University and later Dean of Westminster, is the last remaining peak of seven hills in the area. It is one of the highest points in the Perth Metropolitan area. It is thought that Willem de Vlaming, the early Dutch navigator landed close by this feature in 1697 and climbed the hill to ascertain what lay beyond it and in doing so noted the Swan River, which he named.
The military involvement came about in the early 1900s when defence facilities were built at North Fremantle and on the south side of the harbour at Arthur Head. Buckland Hill made a first class observation point for the gun batteries.
During the Great War, the Battery Observation Post also served as the Port War Signal Station, a naval facility used to signal vessels leaving and entering Gage Roads
Towards the end of 1942 authority had been given to relocate the Fort Arthur Head guns to Leighton where their prime task of "Examination Battery" could be fulfilled more satisfactorily. The guns were then emplaced on temporary mountings as it was already planned to equip the site with more modem weapons as soon as they became available from the United Kingdom. In the meantime over 300 metres of tunnels were excavated in places up to 10 metres below ground in which magazines for the storage of ammunition, communications, gun crew rest areas and observation posts were constructed.
Tours are available every Sunday from 10 am- 3 pm departing every 30 minutes and are approximately 1 hour in duration.
Please note that the underground tunnels are accessed by 38 entry steps and 42 exit steps.
10 am - 3 pm